Monday, August 25, 2008

Fun projects


I am truly addicted to quilting. I've had so much fun making fun things, here are a couple of my favorites. A cute camera strap for my camera, which was really easy to make and I'll put a tutorial on if anybody wants it. And a table runner that I absolutely adore, but I sold, because it was the third I made and how many table runners do I actually need? I even made a quilt the past couple of weeks which I LOVE the fabrics in, and I'll take a picture of it after its quilted. So if I don't answer the phone, and you don't see me come out of the house for awhile, you'll know i'm probably quilting.

Camera strap how too: I unpicked the strap ends from my ugly Canon camera strap with my stitch ripper or a pair of scissors. You can either start with one single piece of fabric or piece different fabrics together like I did, either one, the fabric for the strap will be 24"long by 4" wide. I interfaced the fabric with fusible fleece (I like Pellon brand you can get at Joann fabrics) You iron on the interfacing, cut off the extra, then sew right sides together the length of your fabric with a 1/4" seam. Turn inside out, which is really hard since the interfacing makes it really thick but it will turn inside out eventually! Iron flat, I quilted stitches down the length every 1/4" but you don't have too. Then just slide into the black vinyl pieces you removed from the old strap and stitch in the new one with black thread, and there you have it easy as pie, a new camera strap. You could do this with a small camera strap too, or keychains, endless possibilities!


13 comments:

Livingstone Family said...

What are you putting inside your table runners? I'm inspired to make one and actually quilt it myself. Is it that natural cotton stuff or batting?

Monica said...

Very cute Allison. They even match your blog!

Anonymous said...

I'd love a camera strap tutorial. Love the one you made.

Heidi said...

i saw that strap on another site, but there were no intructions! tutoriall!!! super cute!

Lorna said...

so cute! You are so crafty. We miss you guys!!!!! Both your Bens look so grown up!

Mama Megs said...

Game over with all your cuteness...quilting is totally addictive though! I am about to make the new Amy Butler birdie sling bag-I'm so excited! I can hardly wait for my fabric to come. I'm jealous you get to go home so much-I'm lucky if I get to see the Dodster once a year!! Oh and yes, I want a tutorial for the camera strap too :)

Allison said...

Al, That sure is a "cute" camera strap. I still liked the old black camera stap. Now I don't know if I can bring myself to carry the camera around to take pictures and all. Great idea and all it just doesn't work for me. Love you!

Jay

Jessica Marie said...

I love the camera strap! I think Jay needs to make a manly strap for himself!!! LOL! Kevin agreed...he doesn't think he could get away around here wearing something like that. I asked and he said NO!!! However, you gave me a great idea to make one, so I'm going to and there's nothing he can do about it!!! HAHAHA!

You are really talented at that! Great job! I love your patterns too!

Jess

Livingstone Family said...

I have a bunch of the warm & natural cotton left over from some other projects. Do you just have one solid peice for the back? What are the dimensions? And how do you cut on the diagonal and make it match up?

Anonymous said...

oh man, those are some really cute things that you have been up to. WHere in the world did you find all that awesome fabric? Amish country?

Anonymous said...

oh and I forgot to ask you if you have an etsy.com site, 'cause if you don't you could make some sweet bucks selling your runners and camera straps. Do it!!

Meg said...

You have inspired me to learn how to use a needle and thread. Ever since I looked at your blog I have been checking out begginer's sewing projects.

Megan Rencher

~Amber jo~ said...

very cute! i wish i could get addicted to quilting, i don't even know how. oh well.